My final day in NYC began with excellent sessions on challenging concepts of diversity in higher education, informal learning, Indian music and The Beatles, music literacy and challenging the effects of neo-liberalism in higher education.  Before lunch, I wandered over a few streets and located Electric Lady Studios.  Although built by Jimi Hendrix, he only recorded there once before his death.  Since that time multitudes of musicians have used the facilities to record, including AC/DC, Erykah Badu, David Bowie, Bob Dylan and, most recently, Lady Gaga for the "A Star Is Born" soundtrack.  Although the studio is open 24 hours, I didn't really feel comfortable just walking in off the street..so here's a picture of the exterior.

I then had lunch and took one last walk through Washington Square Park where I encountered this pianist playing Chopin and Phillip Glass on an acoustic grand piano.  I later learned that he rolls the piano out to the park every time he performs and pays to have it tuned. 

The final keynote speaker of the conference was the bass player, manager, promoter and whatever else has been needed for the Grammy-winning band Snarky Puppy.  As part of his backstory, he related how he attended UNT before becoming involved with gospel and jazz musicians from the Fort Worth area.  He then brought his cohorts from UNT over to meet these folks and start gigging with them and, as they say, the rest is history.  One of the aspects of his presentation to us that I appreciated most was his insistence on balance between informal and formal learning approaches and the important of good character in maintaining a vibrant and successful career at any level.  Great way to end the conference!

Though the conference was over, I still had plans for my final night in NYC.  I first rode the subway over to "The Great White Way"....Broadway that is.  Needless to say, the streets were jampacked on a Saturday night with everyone coming in for shows, dance clubs and general revelry.  One of the activities I had hoped to take part in on this night but could never get a seat for was the cabaret/dinner at The Paradise Club, a new venture by Ian Schrager who founded the iconic Studio 54 disco in the late 70s.  Nevertheless, I saw a marquee for "Kiss Me Kate" and ventured down a side street to take a closer look.  When I arrived, I found myself facing the original Studio 54 location. 


So things have come full circle as the theater that became a disco has now become a theater again, though piggybacking on the fame of Studio 54.

Since I couldn't get into the new club, which is considered by some a modern Moulin Rouge, I chose to attend a musical I had never heard about until arriving in New York City..."King Kong:  The Musical".  What more appropriate way to end a trip to NYC than to see a show based on one of the greatest stories ever written around this city.  "King Kong" rocked and roared!!









Comments